Alaska Grown, Locally Produced
Website updated: 27 August 2022
email: [email protected]
Orsi Organic Produce is located north of Auke Bay near Juneau, Alaska. Our produce is grown locally for select markets using sustainable organic practices under the Certified Naturally Grown program. We do not employ the use of chemical fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, or use any genetically modified crop varieties.
Our farm promotes sustainable agricultural practices from soil to market!
• Soil inputs usually are locally collected or sourced as available
• Cover cropping, mulching, & crop rotations are done to add nitrogen & tilth to the soil
• Growing areas include ground/bed coverings to prevent soil erosion and nutrient runoff
• Single use plastics are avoided in packaging produce and in other farm use
• Crops are delivered in compostable BioBags, paper bags/shells, or placed directly in storefront bins
• Vegetative waste is typically composted on site or fed to our chickens
• Crops are grown and typically sold within a 15 mi radius of the farm
We are a Certified Naturally Grown farm producing naturally grown food for local markets. The CNG mission helps promote sustainable agriculture through peer-review certification, grassroots networking, and advocacy. Consumers may also view online CNG farmer information and declared growing practices.
To see the "Flavorful & productive crop variety list for Southeast Alaska" produced at the Farmer's Summit in Sitka on Feb 2019
Our produce is sold or used by these local vendors:
Salt and Soil Online Marketplace Orders can be placed online from noon Friday until 8 pm Wednesday and picked up on Thursday from 4:30 to 6:30 pm at Panhandle Produce in Lemon Creek on the way to COSTCO, 5381 B Commercial Blvd.
- FREE Garlic growing information (see below)
See the 2013 article in Southeast Living on “Local Family Grows Organic Produce”
For over 30 years Master Gardener Joe Orsi has grown crops from apples to zucchinis in Southeast Alaska. Joe has trialed various crops and tested different growing techniques, such as plastic thermal mulch, fleece row covers, cover crops, and foliar seaweed/fish sprays.
The Juneau Farmers market began in
2008, and continue as summer and fall monthly Farmers Markets & an annual Juneau Food Festival at the JAHC.
Hardneck garlic varieties currently grown:
Purple Stripe Giant = Largest cloves
Purple Glazer = Aromatic, great flavor
Chesnok Red = Best for baking/roasting
PSKEM = Superior scapes, intense flavor
See information on Garlic Growing here:
For 2015 SE Commercial Grower's Conference talk:
"My High Tunnel Odyssey" CLICK HERE